Plantar Fasciitis or better known as Policeman’s heel is the most common cause of heel pain. The Plantar Fascia is the flat band of tissue (ligament) that connects your heel bone to your toes. It supports the arch of your foot. If you strain your plantar fascia, it gets weak, swollen, and irritated (inflamed).
This time of year many people tend to suffer more from Plantar Fasciitis due to;
- Being on their feet for several hours a day i.e. Christmas shopping
- Taking up a new exercise getting into shape ready for their Christmas photos
- Women wearing high heels for those Christmas parties and then changing into flat shoes
- Change in weather causing those suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis to have a flare up and muscles and bones become inflamed.
Other more uncommon causes are such things as;
- Having a flat foot or unusually high arch on your foot
- Having tight Achilles tendons or heel cords
- Increase of body weight resulting in pressure on legs and feet
What are the symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis?
- Pain in the bottom of your foot, especially at the front or centre of the heel bone
- Pain that is worse when first rising in the morning (called “first-step pain”), when first standing up after any long period of sitting, or after increased levels of activity
With our Emu oil naturally containing anti-inflammatory healing properties, it is the key ingredient in our products which can help assist in the reduction of pain when combined within the balm and our salts both containing natural essential oils such as arnica, wintergreen, lavender and clove bud along with other essential oils. The Emu Balm is a topical product containing essential oils can be used to help treat those individual painful muscles and joints. It contains all the benefits of Emu Oil and has been blended with other essential oils known to help assist in healing. The balm can also be used on the leg helping aid any built up tension that may have arisen from the Plantar Fasciitis.
Emu Balm is a topical product containing essential oils which can be used to aid those individual painful muscles and joints. It contains all the benefits of Emu Oil and has been blended with other essential oils known for their abilities to help assist in reducing pain.
A tip for Plantar Fasciitis is to rub the balm into the soles of the feet and around the feet up towards the ankle. This will help soothe tight muscles, cramps, pulls and spasms. It helps to reduce fluid retention in damaged tissues as contains anti-inflammatory properties. The balm is absorbed quickly as is non-greasy but will also leave your feet moisturised.
The balm can also be used on the leg helping ease any built up tension that may have arisen from the Plantar Fasciitis.
Emu Salts are great for all over muscle and joint relief when used in the bath, however, to help target and ease Plantar Fasciitis we suggest adding a scoop of Emu Salts to a bowl of warm water and soaking your feet in it for around 20 minutes. The Emu Salts like the Emu Balm contain all the benefits found in Emu Oil and are then blended with essential oils to help aid and reduce tension and anxiety. The Dead Sea Salt crystals in the Emu Salts itself contains many natural healing ingredients which help assist with fluid retention, aids calming, helps to increases circulation, strengthens bones, energises the skin and helps balance the skin.
So next time you’ve been on your feet all day shopping, for long walks, dancing, running or whatever you enjoy make sure you look after your feet as we only have one pair and those feet need to carry the rest of us!
If you suffer from or know someone who struggles with this condition then check out our page about how our Emu Oil, balm and salts can help with Plantar Fasciitis.